Sri Lanka and New Zealand are playing a two-match test series against them in Sri Lanka. The first test match was being played at Galle where both the teams played their first match of ICC Test Championship.
It was Sri Lanka who won the first test match in Galle on the back of match-winning knock by Karunaratne who registered his name in the book of records. In the process of a win, Karunaratne became the third Sri Lankan captain to win the first three test matches as a captain.
Sri Lanka was set a daunting score on the board by the New Zealanders of 268 runs which is not an easy task to chase in the fourth innings. But Sri Lanka won the game without any hiccups as the captain of Sri Lanka- Dimuth Karunaratne played a match-winning knock of 122 runs and Sri Lanka won the match by six wickets easily in the first session only. Now in a two-match series, Sri Lanka is leading the series by 1-0 and New Zealand has to make a strong comeback to level the series.
Statistical Analysis of Sri Lanka vs New Zealand
- In fourth innings 268 was the fifth highest target chased by Sri Lanka against New Zealand.
- This is the first in the History of Galle that a score above 100 is chased by any team in fourth innings. Previous best was 99 runs by Sri Lanka vs Pakistan way back in 2014.
- It is the only second time that first wicket partnership has gone above 100 the only other instance at Galle was back in 1992 by Hathurusingha and Mahanama against Australia
- Karunaratne became only the fourth batsmen in the history of Sri Lankan cricket that an opening batsman scored a hundred in fourth innings of a test match.
- Karunaratne became only third Sri Lankan skipper to win the first three matches as a captain.